Good morning! I have a pretty watercolored card for you today using some of my new synthetic Silverwhite brushes and my Daniel Smith watercolors. In case you missed my first post giving my initial thoughts on these brushes, you can find it here. This project differs only in the fact that I used hot press watercolor paper. To be honest, this was the first project that I made with the new synthetic brushes. I didn’t share it first because I liked the results on the textured cold press watercolor paper better.
For this project, I used a new-to-me stamp set from Mama Elephant: Timeless Tulips. I have been in love with it for a long time and found it on sale a few weeks ago, so I snatched it up! The petals are nicely sized, perfect for practicing shading. I thought this would be a great image to use with my new paintbrushes.
I started by heat embossing the main floral image from Timeless Tulips onto some Arches Hot Press watercolor paper using some silver embossing powder. I watercolored the three tulips with a combination of Daniel Smith Quinacridone Rose, Opera Pink, and added Moonglow for some shadows. I watercolored the leaves with Hooker’s Green, then added a halo of Payne’s Gray around the watercolored image. I covered the flowers with some Post It Notes, then added a few “artsy” splatters!
I found that the synthetic brushes were a bit stiff for the super smooth hot press watercolor paper. If I worked the color too much, it seemed to pill the paper, as you can see in the halo around the edge of the image. Overall, I’m pleased with the performance of the synthetic brushes, but they do require some adjustments to your technique.
I hope you enjoyed this quick project! I always forget that sometimes quick and easy are just as much fun to put together as the super detailed projects. Have a marvelous day, friends!